Thursday, June 04, 2009

Going Green with Doubt

I've been using my own container for quite awhile regardless bringing home cook food to work or tapao "take-away" from stalls. Thinking this might be a little step saving the earth; to reduce the usage of plastic bags/Styrofoam lunch box...but ironically I disagree with what I'm doing at the same time...as in when I wash the container after using it, i realized I'm making another type of harm to earth with running water & detergent.

Lately, the media has been doing an awareness campaign on water. Poster with statements such as "Do you know 10,000litres of water is needed to prepare dinner for six per day??", "A person uses more than 100litres of water a day"....The statistic shocked me. I knew the water consumption has always been alot with the kind of HOT weather in Malaysia, but I never expect it to be that much.

Now...should I continue using my containers & uses more water?? or should I just ask the stall to pack my food in plastic/styrofoam & create more non-degradable waste?? What can be the best solution that can balance our daily life yet going green to save our world??

Use banana leaves to pack rice & noodles like the olden days perhaps??? Atleast the leaves is biodegradable...what about the soup & porridge then??? haha..tough choice!

5 comments:

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

statistics are just an average measure of what people do collectively. u should know better if u're using that much of resource yourself. you can't compare someone who's closing on-off the tap to wash the meat, vegetables and dishes with another person running the tap all the time until the food is cooked!

cRAzYtoMatOmaN-D said...

bravo for doing something!
at least you are doing something for the environment.
u can change your detergent into biodegradeble ones...

feifeipinky said...

3088 : u have ur point there..guess wat,I'm still using my container bringing food to work today. ;p I'm trying new approach thou on saving the water...turned off the tap while foaming myself in the shower..haha. But sad to say, I've still a long way to learn & do more.

Tomato : little effort does helps..when i realised the weather is getting hotter till i rather running in door & nose sensitive getting worst due to dusty air..i got scared..so slowly i pick up the habits to change...also have to thanks some of my frens that constantly educate me on how & where we can do to help. ;)

Kelvin Yap said...

Good work. Coninue using ur "tupperware". Using more water is better than using more plastics. Water is recycleable as it will still rain but for plastics, the volume of garbage is growing and teh process of creating the plastic will destroy the envoronment slowly.

Kelvin Yap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.