Sunday, April 19, 2009

Doubt, Cynicism & Faith

Fr Simon sermons have always been my favorite on many occasions apart from Fr OC Lim that always has his care for political issues & justice. It is simply because Fr Simon has good sense of humour and simplicity in words to make me understand what's God teaching is all about.


This morning, again he gave a very nice sermon about doubt, cynicism & Faith. He took slightly longer time than his usual, but I was ok because it was an interesting topic to ponder on.


This is what he had said: “Doubt is when we have uncertainty. But don’t quote me wrong, it doesn’t mean is a bad thing; simply because it is through serious doubt that will lead us to Faith.” (Paused) Then he continued: “It is through doubt that we tend to search for an answer.” Fr Simon took the example from today’s gospel about Thomas doesn’t believe it was Jesus until he saw the nail marks in His hand. It was because Thomas doubt and seek, he found Faith.


Fr Simon continued: “But then again, there are people who are paranoid in thoughts. This is what known as cynicism. It is cynicism that says there’s nothing great to seek for an answer and when this happened, we will never find Faith.”


“Have anyone of you watch Youtube & followed the show called British Got Talent???” (Cool heh?? Fr Simon’s really update on what’s on entertainment TV & internet…haha) He continued: “If you could remember, it was the latest episode where there was a contestant – Susan Boyle. When she told the judges & the audience that she wanted to be a professional singer, she was being judged badly before she could open her mouth to sing.” “After Susan sang, she totally blew everyone away with her amazing voice.”


And then again, Fr explained: “I’m not trying to tell how good Susan voice is, but rather showing an example about being a cynicism/ a paranoid of putting the first impression in mind judging & conclude something before seeking.”


I can’t remember how Fr Simon ended the sermon but these few sentences really carved deeply in my head that kept me pondering until now. It was a good one; at least it was to me. I nearly ask for a copy of his sermon for today…haha.


PS: I didn’t exactly follow British Got Talent but I later search for the part with Susan Boyle. Oh my! She really gifted with her beautiful voice. (Don’t judge the book by the cover! It has proven true & through!!!)

1 comment:

cRAzYtoMatOmaN-D said...

Thomas the Apostle doubted Jesus’ Resurrection. Like Thomas, do we doubt the Truth of Jesus’ Resurrection that promises us eternal life? How often do we allow ourselves to be drawn into discouragement and depression when things do not go our way?

I'm going through it now....entering the depression pithole till I woke up & realise how bleesed I am to be able to wake up everyday under a roof. Many do not have that luxury. So I should not be discouraged. I should not be depressed. I must not doubt God. I must thank God everyday!


btw...i checked youtube for susan boyle...wow!!!!!!!!!!!