Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Quantity Surveyor

When I first gotten the job in Gamuda, I roughly understand what a Quantity Surveyor should be studying and work; but I wasn't sure I'll like it for a life time career..at that point of time i was desperate getting the sponsorship as my parents were not able to support my studies.

Well if u asked me now...what is QS nature of work?? haha...just make thing simple to understand, a QS is mix breed between an Engineer, an Accountant and a Contract officer. Funny? haha...is true.

Often ppl asked, so what u working as?? i jokingly answered : "Leong Dei Kun". There's a Cantonese direct translation for this "measuring the floor", basically means doing nothing..hah! Not for my case though...is the total opposite of that, I measures everything from below ground to the very top of the structure. A nail, one piece of brick to tonnes of steel.

Well...to be honest, have i regretted taking this as a profession? Some part of me yes. If only I get to do the course i wanted to when i finished SPM. If only I don't have to be so tired everyday when i gets home from work and many more "if only"... ;p

But looking back on the years I've spent working as QS, never deny there are times i felt the satisfaction too. The time when i gets good incentive from early completion of the project and the acknowledgment of my experience from others.

Nway, cut the crap..this coming April mark the 15th year of me working in this industry. Waoh, I sounds old... I could have getting my 15yrs service awards this year if I'm still in Gamuda...hahaha..I'm kinda curious will there be another 15years down the road for me doing the same thing, or is there a chance out there for me to change my path...Looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are you doing freelance QS service? I run a renovation company. I need freelance estimation and BQ preparation service, please email me at rain2172@gmail.com
Thanks.